Sunday, November 03, 2013

                                                   Do Just this One Thing!!


We've all heard it before. Inch by inch life is a cinch , yard by yard it is hard.

I was loosing pretty badly at a game of ping pong(or table tennis as it is known in the world outside of the US)

My opponent was smashing shots in my direction and i could do was try and block the  and hope that it went over the net. This was ridiculous, why was it so difficult to get  the ball over the net and have my opponent miss? What special strokes or moves could i use? How do i have a shot that has speed as well as spin?

How do i make up for all the time my opponent has been playing table tennis and honing his skills, while i am barely just a beginner.

The answer was quite simple- Just get the ball over the net. Anyhow!

It was really that simple. Slowing the game down and just concentrating on putting the ball over the net helped immensely. I didn't win, but i lost narrowly 2-1 in a game of 3 sets. Against other 'weaker' opponents i started winning games. Sure, it is more difficult to slow the game down and willfully concentrate on every shot. But it works!

This weekend i had a training session on a Saturday morning. I was being gazumped. Curls, presses  weights. All at once. I wondered how i would be able to finish all the sets . My trainer also started increasing the weight after each rep. 

Ah, but i only have to lift each dumbbell once right? Concentrate only on that one thing and forget about how to finish. Worked again. I was able to finish each exercise and  rep strong.

Certainly a valuable lesson for other areas of my life(this blog included!). Just focus on doing one thing well. Slowly, bit by bit the entire picture will fall into place.

Things can get overwhelming, but by focusing on what i can get done and blocking out non-useful things(like how to fit every thing in the bigger picture) i can actually give all my energy to what is at hand and feel more satisfied. Conservation of energy and resources.

Certainly, nothing new. But a good reminder. And maybe, just maybe i'll use that principle  to build a great blog again !!

Take it easy..

No comments: